Find a Flatmate or Rooms in Vancouver: Important Things to Know
Renting a room in Vancouver, there are several things to consider:
- Room size, closet space, and storage space
- Access to a private bathroom
- Home features and amenities
- Room furnishings
- If utility costs are included in the rent
- Parking availability and ease of access
- How close you are to work
- Your preferred mode of transportation
- Whether you need quiet or want to live in the middle of it all
- Whether your dream location is more expensive than surrounding neighborhoods
- Private bathroom
- Personal kitchenette
- Private entrance
- Access to a pool or fitness center
- A deck, barbecue or other outdoor amenity
- On-site washer and dryer
- Garage space or other off-street parking
- Total monthly mortgage payment (if applicable)
- Monthly homeowners insurance premiums
- The cost of utilities
- Square footage of the room for rent and common areas
- Any desirable amenities, such as a swimming pool
Here are some ways to find a room for rent or flatmate in Vancouver, BC, Canada:
- Social media platforms such as iROOMit, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter can be great places to start your search for a flatmate. You can join local groups or search for relevant hashtags to see if anyone is looking for a flatmate in your area.
- Websites such as iROOMit, Kijiji, Craigslist, and RentFaster are a great place to start your search for rooms for rent in Vancouver.
iROOMit is a free platform that allows you to list, search and advertise rooms for rent or flatmates. The platform is safe and secure with verified IDs and real-time connections. iROOMit uses a smart algorithm to find a good flatmate lifestyle match for you.
As of July 2023, the average rent for a 1-bedroom flat in Vancouver, BC is $2,895. This is an 18% increase compared to the previous year.
The average monthly price for a two-bedroom flat, condo, townhouse, duplex or house in the city exceeded record highs in 2023. Ontario guideline rent increase for 2023 is 6.2%.
Rentals.ca reports that by city, average flatmate rents were highest in Vancouver at $1,454, followed by Toronto at $1,288, Ottawa at $947 and Montreal at $9,272.
Here are some tips on how to find a flatmate in Vancouver, BC, Canada:
- Determine your budget and what furniture you have and what you need
- Decide if you are a home-body or if you just want a place to crash
- Consider moving in with a friend
- Determine if the person is pet friendly
- Be ready for an interview (or ten)
There are several ways to find rooms for rent or flatmates in Vancouver. Websites such as iROOMit, Kijiji, Craigslist, and RentFaster are a great place to start your search for rooms for rent in Vancouver. Social media platforms such as iROOMit, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter can also be great places to start your search for a flatmate.